Sprouted Almond Milk
If you’ve never tried nut milk, you’re in for a treat! It tastes so much better than cow’s milk and is easy to make. The following are 5 easy steps to making the most nutritious and delicious almond milk.
1) Soak 1 cup of raw organic almonds in 2 cups of filtered water with a few spritzes of food-grade 3% H2O2 to kill off any bacteria. Soak for 2 days, changing the water twice per day – once in the morning and once in the evening. (Double the quantity if you want to make a larger batch.)
2) Soak for approximately 48 hours because it allows the almonds to begin sprouting which changes the nutritional composition and maximizes nourishment.
Have you ever eaten shelled sunflower seeds? Then you know that they are slightly oily and contain fat. How about that same sunflower seed 10 days later after it’s sprouted into a sunflower green? Now it’s green crunchy, fresh and plump with water. Where did the fat go? The process of sprouting changed the nutritional composition of the seed.
When you sprout almonds, you will see a tiny bud starting to form at the tip of the almond and a crack down the center where the almond is about to split so the sprout can emerge. This will only happen if the almonds are truly raw, fresh and viable.
3) Place the cup of almonds in a high-speed blender or Vitamix with two cups of water, a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt and an optional sweetener like vanilla bean seeds, or yacon syrup. I prefer just a little yacon syrup since it is sweet,and has an extremely low glycemic index. If you are making a flavored milk like chocolate milk or chai, now is a good time to add the raw cacao or spices. Blend at high speed. Taste test your milk and adjust to desired flavor.
4) Pour the almond milk through a nut milk bag and squeeze to separate the almond pulp from the milk. The almond pulp can be used to make other treats like raw almond cookies, but the pulp will only keep fresh for 1-2 days refrigerated unless you dehydrate it into almond flour.
5) Viola! You’re done and now you can enjoy your almond milk straight or use it to make a creamy smoothie, add to recipes, breakfast cereal,and so much more.
Watch this 3 minute video and view the steps in action. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9UirLp5vtw&feature=c4-overview&list=UUDBizofTVWVUib_JsxwxBWg